Restore Rims

Restore Rims

s
svoh
Foorumi kasutaja

Restore Rims

Postitus Postitas svoh »

Hello everyone,

I have ordered my white walls for my tires. I wanted to ask you though about restoring rims.

I thought of two options.

First one (I would do it myself) :

- To make a Electrolysis bath to remove the rust (never did it but it doesn't look so complicated

- Remove the rust and paint it myself. However I have never painted anything. I was thinking of using a spray, but I'm afraid paint would start cracking if I don't use the right spray or the right painting or even the right technique. Any ideas on this last point?

Second one :

Having a garage restoring them + painting, but I have no idea how much it would cost me.

What do you think I should go for?
Kasutaja avatar
Kytt
Ladaklubi Juhatus
Autod: 2x2102,21013 & Toyota

Postitus Postitas Kytt »

Sandblasting+primer+paint approximetly 80 EUR 4 rims in Tallinn

Pilt
s
svoh
Foorumi kasutaja

Postitus Postitas svoh »

What do you call primer?

Where is that place? :)
Kasutaja avatar
PuZuP
Ladaklubi Liige
Autod: 2106 '79
Kontakt:

Postitus Postitas PuZuP »

Primer is the base coating for "naked" metal. After comes the putty (if needed) and then a surface coating and depending on choice of coating, clear varnish.
...parem kaotada üks minut oma elust, kui kaotada oma elu ühe minutiga...Pilt
s
svoh
Foorumi kasutaja

Postitus Postitas svoh »

ah ok. The think is that I am also not sure which color to put. Would chroming it be a way more expensive?
Kasutaja avatar
PuZuP
Ladaklubi Liige
Autod: 2106 '79
Kontakt:

Postitus Postitas PuZuP »

Chroming process isn't expensive at all, but the pre-work is. Base has to be coated with copper by electrolysis, and grinded to maximum smoothness (sometimes prework process takes more than 6 times copper coating to get the best result), otherwise all scrapes or defects will be shown in chrome coating.
If You really want get them chrome-style, then alternative is a chrome-painting or similar. You will get help from "Värvifoorum OÜ", they are located on Kadaka road, Karsti district. If You google their name, You will find a match.
...parem kaotada üks minut oma elust, kui kaotada oma elu ühe minutiga...Pilt
Kasutaja avatar
Kytt
Ladaklubi Juhatus
Autod: 2x2102,21013 & Toyota

Postitus Postitas Kytt »

svoh kirjutas: Where is that place? :)
look at the link: http://hekmato.ee/kontakt.html
s
svoh
Foorumi kasutaja

Postitus Postitas svoh »

Actually do you have any idea what is the "color" of the original rim? Maybe I would just want to remove the rust, and have it "colored" like original, which I am not sure if it's chrome or just "metal" color, and then add the white walls.
o
osaw
Foorumi kasutaja
Autod: 21033

Postitus Postitas osaw »

depends of make and model i think, but you are right. Seems to be standard "silver":
Pilt
http://www.realussr.com/wp-content/uplo ... 13_051.jpg
http://www.autoweek.com/storyimage/CW/2 ... ada-ad.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... a_1200.jpg
(links are to big for hotlinking)
s
svoh
Foorumi kasutaja

Postitus Postitas svoh »

Damned. :( I restored my rims and have the same Atlas white walls as in yhe picture for 13 inches. I went to Vianor near airport and when they test a bit the loss of pressure betweeen 2.5 and 2 the white walls go away. The guy told me that they will get out of the wheel when driving. I just restored my rims for 76 euros and another 70 for white walls. Dont know what to do. Anyone has an idea?
l
LandDragon
Foorumi kasutaja
Autod: MB C220 Avantgarde '10
Kontakt:

Postitus Postitas LandDragon »

You need inner tubes if you didn't have them or new ones if you had them. Not all original lada wheels support tubeless tires. There's a special edge on the wheels for tubless tires, you probably don't have that or maybe just something else is wrong, like valves or sth, but they would have told you that in Vianor I suppose.
s
svoh
Foorumi kasutaja

Postitus Postitas svoh »

They actually have original tubes. What happens is that the white walls slip away.
s
svoh
Foorumi kasutaja

Postitus Postitas svoh »

Any idea where to get new tubes?
s
Sulllllll
Foorumi kasutaja

Postitus Postitas Sulllllll »

Any other shop that sells car parts. Just ask for 13inch tubes and that'll do.
o
osaw
Foorumi kasutaja

Postitus Postitas osaw »

Well, my whitewalls havent sliped away so far. Though, i've only driven them at 90kmph for about 40km and more at city speeds but doesn't really matter. Survived brake test and suspension test at inspection as well.

Currently running tubeless at 2.1 and haven't spotted any leakage yet either. 2101 rims if i'm not mistaken:

Did they use soap when mounting whitewalls? Manual that came with portawalls suggested not to: http://www.portawallshop.com/Thank%20yo ... rchase.pdf

Maybe beginners luck, but i had no problems, unfortunately i have little expereience and can't help out further.
s
Sulllllll
Foorumi kasutaja

Postitus Postitas Sulllllll »

I've driven for about 1000km or more with my whitewalls. Half of it on highways. They do need some adjusting every once and a while, but that's the price you've got to pay for this kind of alternative luxury.
s
svoh
Foorumi kasutaja

Postitus Postitas svoh »

The rims were freshly restored. Vianor guy advised to grind the rim in the inner part since the walls might be slipping because of the fresh paint and use of soap.. But after restoring them I don't feel much like grinding it (humidity, rust etc..)
r
Raldo
Foorumi kasutaja
Autod: Auto puudub

Postitus Postitas Raldo »

You could always use glue between tire and whitewall and/or whitewall and rim.
o
osaw
Foorumi kasutaja

Postitus Postitas osaw »

don't grind. try to dry off the soap?
s
svoh
Foorumi kasutaja

Postitus Postitas svoh »

I'll try to do that :)
Vasta