Best camshaft for a road car?

Vasta
k
KSavage
Foorumi kasutaja
Autod: VAZ 2103

Best camshaft for a road car?

Postitus Postitas KSavage »

I am trying to find what is the best camshaft I can buy for a 2103 1500cc road car trying to make near 150hp. I was mainly looking at the camshafts from Lada Moscow, and was thinking of either the "Estonian +" or the "Taifun". It seems like these forums are more for rally cars, but if anyone has any recommendations that would be greatly appreciated :D
o
olaaf
Ladaklubi Auliige
Autod: 2105 s1300, 1119

Re: Best camshaft for a road car?

Postitus Postitas olaaf »

Hello.

To get 150hp from street legal 1500cc engine only turbo options are possible (fully programmable EFI etc)

After raising compression to 10:5:1 and some cylinder head work with a good cam 130bhp is possible using dual Weber 40 DCOE-s.

1500 engine is actually 1451cc (pretty sall displacement) and 76mm piston is limiting intake valve size (large valve will hit cylinder wall on high lift.)

For street application i reccomend milling 1,9mm of deck surface, Estonets 11,4 cam, some headwork is needed, also valve reliefs in piston are mandatory. With Solex 24x26 carb result will be approx 100bhp. (std engine 72-75bhp).

Estonets + (11,2 289/265) cam on 1451cc engine with 10,8:1 will loose a lot of torque below 3000rpm, power will be way up the rev range. With single solex 26x28 you will get approx 110bhp. good porting and valvejob + lighter valves are mandatory.

Note that only some older blocks will allow you to overbore to 79mm! Newer blocks tend to have very thin cylinder wall.
Männiku laiali Garage
"90 percent of carb problems are ignition related.."
o
olaaf
Ladaklubi Auliige
Autod: 2105 s1300, 1119

Postitus Postitas olaaf »

To get 150bhp street drivable N/A engine start with 21213 1700cc niva block.
84mm bmw pistons, 84mm crankshaft, Havassy 316* cam, 40/34 valve head, good 4-2-1 header and proper 55mm straight through exhaust.
Dual DCOE 45mm carbs or single DGAV/DGAS 32/36.

With proper adjustment passing smog test is possible.. barely

There is no replacement for displacement!

good luck!
Männiku laiali Garage
"90 percent of carb problems are ignition related.."
k
KSavage
Foorumi kasutaja

Hi, thanks for the information!

This car will not be for daily driving, just some fun driving and car shows on the weekend, so rough idle and that sort of thing is not too much of a concern. Although like you say I need to get a cam that comes in lower in the rev range, perhaps the "Avtogen" sold on Lada Moscow?
In my country an emissions test is not necessary as the car is so old, so that is not a problem I have to worry about :lol:

The car is a 1973 so hopefully I can get a good overbore from the engine, but I will not increase the cc for some time as otherwise, as a young person, insurance will cost me more per year than the car is worth hahaha

I will be using Dellorto DHLA 40 carburettors, still trying to find the best place to get a manifold for these though. I was hoping to get closer to 11:1 comp ratio although if that is not possible I can understand, would the standard pistons withstand this?

How big do you think the valves can be with the standard cylinder diameter?

Thanks again! :D
Kasutaja avatar
VäikeMägilane
Foorumi kasutaja
Autod: 2107, Niva, VFTS
Kontakt:

Postitus Postitas VäikeMägilane »

Hi there,

Since you are keen to use 2103 engine block (76x80mm), then maximum you'll get (after spending fortune) is roughly 110-120hp/160-170Nm (measured from the engine!). This block also eliminates using bigger valves due to miniature piston size. So there is option that you drill the block to 79mm-only then, there is a way and point to use bigger valves, if one wants.

With CR 11:1 - the cam should be around 290-300degrees to work properly and valves evenly opened 3-4mm/valve lift 7.2-7.8mm, then there is an effect. For daily drive it is safer to use CR max 10.5:1 (could use safley 98-octane petrol). IMHO CR 11:1 is already in the edge in that matter.
Therefore 280-290deg. shaft is good starting point (valve lift 7-7.5mm).

In any case, you'll need to seriously modify the cylinder head (even then if you do not use bigger valves) - and that is a rocket science, meaning not all people know how to do that:)

BR,
mägilane

PS: LadaMoscow may have a good choise etc. but the pricing policy seems a bit overkill - although, currently everything is skyrocketing, what is made from metal and in RU though.
Viimati muutis VäikeMägilane, 27 Mär 2022 13:34, muudetud 1 kord kokku.
Festina lente!
k
KSavage
Foorumi kasutaja

Hi,

Wow an estimate of 120hp seems quite low, although all of my knowledge mostly comes from classic ford engines which use a crossflow design, perhaps this is the limiting factor here?

The main reason for using the original engine is insurance purposes, maybe one day if I can find one I will swap in a 2.0 Fiat Twin Cam or other such larger standard fitting engine.

Thanks for your input :D
Kasutaja avatar
VäikeMägilane
Foorumi kasutaja
Autod: 2107, Niva, VFTS
Kontakt:

Postitus Postitas VäikeMägilane »

The message was - drill your block and with some luck you'll get 140-150hp engine from that. It can stay officially 1500, if that is neccessary...
Festina lente!
Kasutaja avatar
Viin
Foorumi kasutaja
Autod: BA3 2105 & Riva Junior
Kontakt:

Postitus Postitas Viin »

KSavage kirjutas: 26 Mär 2022 00:55 The main reason for using the original engine is insurance purposes, maybe one day if I can find one I will swap in a 2.0 Fiat Twin Cam or other such larger standard fitting engine.

Thanks for your input :D
Most of the people don't make difference between different Lada engines. So don't let disturb yourself from the origin engine.
k
KSavage
Foorumi kasutaja

Olaaf, I am not sure if you will see this as I am reviving an old thread but I have managed to get a 21213 Niva block :D . What BMW pistons are the ones to use? If I cannot find some that are right I may have to get something special from Havassy! Thanks
Vasta